Today, we celebrate the giftedness, contribution, and value of women everywhere!
These 12 aspects of biblical womanhood are the counter-cultural convictions that guide us as we strive to live out His wisdom in our world:
- Value – We believe that every woman has been created in the image of God and is infinitely valued by and significant to Him (Gen 1:27; Ps 139:13-16; Isa 43:6-7; Matt 19:4-9; Eph 5:31-33).
- Distinction – We believe that God has given women and men distinctive roles within the family and the church; that these roles were intentionally created and given prior to human sin; that according to God’s design, these roles are interdependent but not interchangeable (Gen 2:18-25; 1 Cor 11:3, 8-9, 11-12; 1 Tim 2:12-14).
- Gender – We believe that gender is God-given, not socially constructed or self-determined; that gender distinctions are rooted in creation and manifested in biological differences, transcending social customs and cultural stereotypes; that being created as a woman is an essential aspect of our identity (Gen 2:18-25; Matt 19:4; Mark 10:6).
- Marriage – We believe that marriage was created by God as a covenant between one man and one woman for the purpose of communicating the relationship between God Himself and His people; that biblical marriage is the only rightful relationship for sexual expression; that women are called to honor God in marriage by submitting to their own husbands voluntarily and purposefully (Gen 2:24-25; 1 Cor 7:1-5; Eph 5:22-33; Col 3:18-19; 1 Pet 3:1-7; Heb 13:4).
- Singleness – We believe that unmarried women are fully valued in Christ; that by their chaste and set-apart lives they may especially devote themselves to service in the Kingdom of God during either their season or lifetime of singleness (1 Cor 7:4-35).
- Home – We believe that every woman is called to make her home a place of service and that such service is ultimately to Christ (Prov 31:27; 1 Tim 5:14; Titus 2:3-5).
- Children – We believe that investing in the next generation is every woman’s task; that women are uniquely gifted to nurture, teach, and train children; that children, as blessings from the Lord, are the most worthy investments for a woman’s energies whether as biological, adopted, or spiritual children (Deut 6:1-25; Prov 31:21, 28; 2 Tim 1:5; Titus 2:3-5).
- Ministry – We believe that every Christian woman is called to fulfill the Great Commission and has the opportunity for significant service in the Kingdom of God; that all service to Christ according to biblical guidelines is significant to the Lord; that women are exhorted to instruct and mentor other women (Titus 2:3-5).
- Church – We believe that women are indispensable to the Church; that concerning a woman’s sphere of service, within biblical guidelines her opportunities are boundless (1 Tim 2:11-14; Titus 2:3-5).
- Education – We believe that every woman is worth the investment of educational opportunities; that women as created in God’s image not only can learn but should learn and have access to literacy, skills training, and vocational instruction; that the God-called woman warrants the investment of theological education and preparation for service to Christ according to biblical guidelines (Deut 31:12; 2 Tim 1:13-14; 2:15; Titus 2:3-5; 1 Pet 3:15).
- Influence – We believe a woman has particular capacity for effecting societal change and preserving moral values through her influence in the home and family and her involvement in community decisions, social action, and public policy (Exod 2:1-10; 2 Chr 22:10-12; Matt 5:13-16; 25:34-40; 1 Tim 2:1-2).
- Sanctity of Life – We believe that every woman’s life, regardless of culture or condition, has dignity; that whether unborn or aging, impoverished or privileged, she is worth protecting; that the life and dignity of every woman must be defended (Ps 139:13-16; Matt 18:2-5).
Download a printable version of the Biblical Woman Statement